Day 1


So this was my second time going to England and France. The first time I went I was 15 and was traveling with my high school. I was super excited about going a second time. There were a lot of things I got to do and places to see on my first trip because my teachers gave us lots of freedom to explore so I already had an idea of what I wanted to visit again and what I didn’t need to see.

I booked my flight pretty last minute. I would say I booked the trip about 50 days before my departure date. Flights dropped all the way down to $554. I was originally going to buy tickets around July 4th when tickets were $684, then stuff happened and didn’t look like the trip would happen. In October, the trip looked like it could happen again so when I looked at flights they all seemed to be around $804. My friend and I kept an eye on the prices and even at one point they went all the way up to $1000. One day I got a text from my friend telling me that prices dropped. Funny thing is that I spoke to someone from the UK and they told me that $684 was a lot and I could find something cheaper and I thought they were crazy when they said that. Look how lucky I ended up getting?

This post is already getting a little too wordy.

Soooooo I booked a flight for 10:30 at night thinking that the flight would be less crowded. I was completely wrong. The flight was very packed and at one point I felt like the couple next to me were literally cuddling on top of me.

The airline was kind enough to give us earphones, eye masks, and ear buds.


They gave us this dinner


I did a lot of reading and did not get any sleep

img_4183When I got off the flight I met my best friend, Holly in Heathrow airport. Holly flew from a different airport than me. We planned to take an uber to London, but we had issues getting it because neither one of us could use data so we ended up going back inside to try the Heathrow Express. Unfortunately, the Heathrow Express wasn’t working for a few days so we had to ask a worker and he said to take the tube. We got onto a very packed train. We had to switch trains twice and drag our luggage up lots of staircases. We pretty much screamed tourist. It took us about 2 1/2 hours to get to our hotel. We probably looked insane when we walked into the lobby because we were hungry and so tired from our ridiculous journey on the train.

We stayed at the CitizenM hotel, which is right across the street from the Tower of London. It is right above the Tower Hill tube station.



I took the room pictures the day we left the hotel.



Holly and I were starving at this point and neither one of us ate breakfast so we planned to walk to Borough Market. It was 3:30pm at this point so we had to move quickly if we wanted to get there before it closed at 5pm. As I mentioned before neither one of us had data so we took pictures of the directions. We knew it was on the other side of the bridge so we walked over the London Bridge. We thought we saw the market so we started to walk toward it and completely forgot about our directions. We were so wrong. So completely wrong. I laugh now but at the time I think my stomach wanted to punch me.


This is where we ended up. I can’t remember what is the name of it. By this point we knew we wouldn’t make it to Borough Market in time so we did the only thing we knew best to do and we grabbed some Starbucks.img_4189

While drinking our Starbucks we were trying to figure out how we could get to our next destination. We bought tickets for ice skating at Somerset House. Neither one of us wanted to get on the tube again so we figured we would walk there. Walking was definitely a good idea because we got to see a lot of cool stuff and even stumbled upon this unknown church ;).

img_4190St. Paul’s Cathedral

Hello beautiful Somerset House!



We ate at Tom’s Kitchen.


They gave me warm milk with my tea. I have never had that happen at a restaurant.


So Somerset House has tents surrounding the ice rink. One of the tents had a bar that had lots of couches and tables to sit at. Holly and I had a little bit of time before our ice skating time so we bought a cup of mulled wine to try because neither of us had ever had it. Sadly, neither of us were a fan which was a bummer because I have read so many blog posts with positive reviews about mulled wine. It looks like I will have to stick to regular wine.


And then it was ice skating time! 🙂IMG_4195.JPG



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s